Across the UK, over 600 organisations are getting involved in this year's Men's Health Week, which begins on 15th June and focuses on healthy living for men.
There's some great events going on in the week including:
- Trim Down Shape Up are delivering numerous events throughout Men's Health Week, the main event being on 21st June when men from the programme will be taking part in a Wigan V Leigh touch rugby match at Leigh Centurions stadium at Leigh Sports Village. Trim Down Shape Up have partnered with Wigan Warriors and Leigh Centurions rugby clubs to offer rugby skills training throughout Men's Health Week in the lead up to the game.
- Leigh Centurions Mickey Higham and a Wigan Warriors player will be delivering the training and discussing tactics with the participants in the hope of giving their team the edge. The 7 v 7 match will take place at Leigh Sports Village just before Leigh Centurions game against Sheffield Eagles. The match will be officiated by an official rugby league referee and a Leigh Centurions player will be attending the match to show their support. The men will also be invited onto the pitch at half time at the Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles game for a kick conversion competition.
- Trim Down Shape Up will have stands in the bars at half time where men will be able to sign up to the programme (a free 12 week fitness and weight management service commissioned by Wigan Council). Local health trainers will also be with the team offering men aged 40-74 a free health check.
These local health trainers will also be working with Trim Down Shape Up throughout the week, going into businesses in Wigan, Ashton and Leigh to offer men free health checks.
- Pompey in the Community have have teamed up with the Society of St James to provide a sport, fitness and education service for people who affected by addiction, homelessness & mental health.
- Healthy Darlington is giving free man MOT heath checks for all of it's staff throughout Men's Health Week. Healthy Darlington offers free 1:1 healthy lifestyle appointments in the Healthy Darlington Hub all year round to all residents, and we are using Men's Health week to promote this offer to encourage more local men to use the service. We are also running a Men's Health Week stall in a prominent town centre location to promote the wealth of existing support that is available to men locally.
For more information on the week, or for access to the resource pack, visit the Men's Health Week page. Make sure you follow us on Twitter @menshealthforum to get the latest news and updates throughout the week.
For a full list of available event details. see the list below.
Men's Shed in conjunction with Men's Action Network and Safer Ageing Fermanagh will be hosting a day for men to have a health check completed including BMI, Blood Sugar, Skin Scanning, Chlosterol Checks and Blood Pressure. Also in attendance will be a barber and complimentary therapist. Also on the day will be an adaptation of a poem performed by volunteers on the Safer Ageing Fermanagh project titled What Do You See
A free event for those running or planning Men's Sheds across the East of England and others with a professional interest in the Men's Shed concept. Men's Sheds (www.menssheds.org.uk) bring together men aged 50+ to keep them healthier and happier for longer through making, mending and learning. Event details and online booking at https://meettheshedderseast.eventbrite.co.uk
East Bolden Village Pharmacy and Horbury Road pharmacy are going to be celebrating mens health week by offering male patients a free health check which includes blood pressure testing and specific health advice. They will also be offering male patients a free man manual and highlighting mens health both in the pharmacy and on social media with daily updates on a different topic online
Link4Life Leisure Trust will be holding walking football sessions throughout the week
University of Sunderland have a open event at CitySpace foyer
South Manchester Healthy Living Network have a Men's Healthy Living stall in Wythenshawe Town Centre, Manchester. 2 days - 17th and 19th June. Quizzes, games and healthy living info, plus freebies. They are also doing a A Men's Health Mail Out - Why is men's health important? - to their Network members.
Fit4less in Preston are offering a free week guest pass to any man who is looking to shape up, and are also running a series of challanges throughout the week to find out which is the fitter sex the men or the women and will be posting stuff on our social media to help improve awareness of certain men's health issues
CNWL are holding An evening event at a care home in Hillingdon with 20 + Asylum seeking young people aged 14-25years old. Event will be facilitated by a Looked after Children's nurse, Stop smoking advisor, School nurse, Sexual health Outreach worker, Early intervention Young support worker. 5 Health promotion stands will be provided for the young people to pick up information and get advice regarding their health and well being.
Colin Neighbourhood partnership are holding a range of events including: BBQ Master Class for Men, Dads and Kids Cookery Session, Father and Kids fun day and a Men's Day Trip and Walk
The Wellbeing Partnership C.I.C are celebrating Men's Health Week with Free Blood Pressure Checks, Free Smoking Packs and Information and Advice on Men's Healthy Living, you can also take away useful information. Boots the Pharmacy will be providing appointments and advice to people. The event takes place at Broadmead Shopping Centre near M&S and Footlocker
Bright Grey are promoting Men's Health Week at our Sports Day Event - Annual staff sports day, will raise awareness of Men's Health Week and the importance of activity for a healthy lifestyle. There will be team challenges and a lot of fun. They've also challenged the men into eating healthy lunches all week.
Quad Health Club & Spa at the Crowne Plaza Docklands are offering free lifestyle consultations with new and existing members with a qualified Personal Trainer. Consists of exercise prescription and nutrition advice
Oak Healthy Living Fair are holding a health fair in their Men's Shed in Lisnaskea Business Complex Fermanagh it will be a morning of free health checks, practical demonstrations and information stands