In Scotland, one man in four dies before the age of 65.
TOGETHER we can change that.
The Men's Health Forum has been operating in Scotland for many years working with academic and research partners and selling our acclaimed man manuals to the public, private and voluntary sector.
From 2001 to 2016, we were proud to act alongside the Men's Health Forum Scotland (MHFS) who led the way over that period to improve the health of men in Scotland. Sadly, due to a change in circumstances, MHFS decided in February 2016 that they would stop operations, and, with the full agreement of their Trustees, we extended our area of activity so that we now cover Scotland, England and Wales.
In January 2020, in partnership with Voluntary Health Scotland, we presented at the Cross-Party Group on Health Inequalities at the Scottish Parliament.
The way ahead: creating an men's health action plan for Scotland
We are looking for supporters and partners to help us develop an ambitious vision and plan for improving men's health in Scotland. As a first step, we want to build a strong Scottish team and, to this end, aim to:
- Establish a Scottish Advisory Committee (SAC)
- Recruit more Scottish Associates to our team of Associates and one or more Scottish trustees.
- Build a network of individuals and organisations interested in working together together to improve men's health in Scotland
As soon as we have the resource, our goal is to:
- Produce a report on the state of men's health in Scotland and campaign for a Men's Health Strategy for Scotland.
- Ensure that we have a suitable Man Manual for Scotland. (More about the Man Manual.)
- Apply for grants and funding to enable a more substantial operation in Scotland.
Initially, we intend to work through volunteers, associates and other sub-contractors rather than through paid members of staff or an office.
- If you live in Scotland and are interested in men's health and would like to work with us on any of these ideas or help us develop our vision for Scotland, we'd love to hear from you - please use the form below.
- If you'd like to donate to help fund more work in Scotland, please donate now or sign up to run for us in the Men's 10k.
- Whatever your interest, please sign up to the newsletter
Men's health in some parts of Scotland is amongst the worst in the UK - and we want that to change. Please sign-up below if you would like to help that change happen.