The report argued that there is very little developed knowledge about how to engage with men on the issue of weight and very clear evidence that most of the then support systems were failing to work with men effectively. The Action Plan at the end of the document called for the following measures to be implemented:
- It must become widely recognised that weight is a male issue too.
- It is essential to develop a strong research base.
- "male-sensitive" approaches are needed immediately especially in primary care and health promotion.
- Work with boys is critical to reducing overweight in adult men in the future.
- Government must implement a cross-cutting strategy to tackle this problem for both men and women. This strategy must take account of the differences between the sexes.