The MHF is committed to fully participating in NHS England’s Information Standard Scheme for health and social care information. We intend to comply with all aspects and requirements of the Scheme Standard.
A list of sources for the Mini Man second edition follows:
Weighty Matters (page 2): Diet link with blood pressure: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/Goodfood/Pages/Goodfoodhome.aspx
• Bray, GA, for the DASH Collaborative Group, "The Effect of Dietary Patterns on Blood Pressure: Results From the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Clinical Trial." Current Concepts in Hypertension, November, 1998, 4-5
Heavy Weight Issues (page 3): 40 inch waist:
• Lawrence de Koning; Merchant, AT; Pogue, J; Anand, SS (2007). "Waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio as predictors of cardiovascular events: meta-regression analysis of prospective studies". European Heart Journal 28 (7): 850.
30,000 deaths linked to obesity (page 3):
• Must A, Spadano J, Coakley EH, Field AE, Colditz G, Dietz WH: The disease burden associated with overweight and obesity. JAMA 282:1523–1529, 1999
• Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Bowman BA, Dietz WH, Vinicor F, Bales VS, Marks JS: Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001. JAMA 289:76–79, 2003
African-Caribbean and Asian men have an increased risk of developing diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease (page3):
• Klag MJ, Whelton PK, Randall BL, Neaton JD, Branccati FL, Stamler J. 1997 End-stage renal disease in African American and white men; 16-year MRFIT findings. JAMA. 227:1293–1298.
• Lip GY, Malik I, Luscombe C, McCarry M, Beevers G. Dietary fat purchasing habits in whites, blacks and Asian peoples in England – implications for heart disease prevention. Int J Cardiol 1995; 48: 287–93
Coping with Stress (page 6): Work:
• 6. Stansfeld S., Head J. and Marmot M (2000). Work related factors and ill-health: The Whitehall II Study. Contract research report 266 /2000. Health & Safety Executive. HSE Books: Sudbury. Smith A., Johal S., Wadsworth E., Davey Smith G. and Peters T (2000).
• The scale of occupational stress: The Bristol Stress and Health at work study. Contract research report 265/2000. Health & Safety Executive. HSE Books: Sudbury.
Quitting Smoking (page 10):
• the quitting time line - http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/smoking/Pages/betterlives.aspx?WT.mc_id=31001
Effect of smoking on arterial stiffness and pulse pressure amplification, Mahmud A, Feely J. Hypertension.2003:41:183
US Surgeon General’s Report, 1988, p. 202
US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp.193, 194,196, 285-287, 304, 323
US Surgeon General’s Report, 2010, p. 359
A Report of the Surgeon General: How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease - The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Smoking-Attributable Disease Fact Sheet, 2010; and Tobacco Control: Reversal of Risk After Quitting Smoking, IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention, Vol. 11. 2007, p 341
A Report of the Surgeon General: How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease - The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Smoking-Attributable Disease Fact Sheet, 2010; and US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp. vi, 155, 165
Tobacco Control: Reversal of Risk After Quitting Smoking<. IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention, Vol. 11. 2007. p 11
Erectile Dysfunction linked to smoking (page 11):
• Bortolotti A. Fedele D. Chatenoud L. Colli E. Coscelli C. Landoni M. Lavezzari M. Santeusanio F. Parazzini F. Cigarette smoking: a risk factor for erectile dysfunction in diabetics. European Urology. 2001: 40:392-6.
• Warning: Smoking causes male sexual impotence. Smoking and threats to men’s sexual health. British Medical Association & ASH UK. 1999
Sensible Drinking (page 10):
• Solomon CG, Hu FB, Stampfer MJ, et al. Moderate alcohol consumption and risk of coronary heart disease among women with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Circulation. 2000; 102:494–99.
Mouth Cancer (page 16):
• Gillison ML, Broutian T, Pickard RKL, et al. Prevalence of oral HPV infection in the United States, 2009-2010. Journal of the American Medical Association. Published online January 26 2012
Diabetes and high blood pressure link to impotence (page 21):
• American Diabetes Association, "Complications of Diabetes in the United States." Brock, Gerald, Medscape Clinical Update, "New Horizons in Erectile Dysfunction Therapy." Ferrario, C.M., Levy.
• "Sexual Dysfunction in Patients with Hypertension: Implications for Therapy," Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 4(6):424-432, 2002. Guay, A.T., "Lecture 5: Sexual dysfunction in the diabetic patient," International Journal of Impotence Research, December 2001, vol 13: Supplement 5, pp. S47-S50. Miller, T.A
Psychological Impotence (page 21):
• Derogatis L, Meyer JK, King KM. Psychopathology in individuals with sexual dysfunction. Am J Psychiatry 1981; 138: 757–763
• Nicolosi A, Moreira ED, Shirai M, Villa M, Glasser DB. A population study of the association between sexual function, sexual satisfaction and depressive symptoms in men. J Affective Disord 2004; 82: 235–243. | Article | ISI |