The CAN DO Challenge
There are five days of the week and five ways to wellbeing. Can you see where we're going with this?
The five ways to wellbeing are five things we can all do that are scientifically-proven to help us feel better. For the CAN DO Challenge, we're calling on everyone to choose a different way to wellbeing to try each day of Men's Health Week.
Every day, a different way
The five ways are:
- Connect - connect with other people (eg. call an old friend you haven't since before lockdown) #connectmonday
- (Be) Active - move your body (eg. go for a run/walk/swim/dance/etc) #activetuesday
- Notice - take notice of the environment around you (eg. turn off your phone for an hour) #noticewednesday
- Discover - learn something new (eg. read a book you haven't read before) #discoverthursday
- Offer (or give) - do something for someone else (eg. volunteer for a local community group) #offerfriday
Men's Health Week 2021
For Men's Health Week 2021, we are asking as many people as possible to try the CAN DO Challenge. Let us know what you're doing by telling us here and sharing on social media etc. Use the hashtags above and #menshealthweek
You CAN DO it by yourself. Or with friends. CONNECT Monday is the perfect day to round up your friends for the rest of the week.
On Friday, everybody can give their support to the men’s health message by wearing blue. (A great initiative from our US friends the Men's Health Network.) There's a Blue Friday poster among the freebies. Can you give something else as well?
Want to make the challenge more challenging?
- Can you find an activity that ticks all 5 boxes? Taking a group of people on a historical walk, for example.
- Can you get five friends to do it too?
- Can you do your chosen activity five times - five press-ups, five books, five minutes dancing five times, five marathons
- Can you do all five ways in one day? Can you do that for every day of the week?
- Not sure what to do? To get you thinking, here are 50 ideas from our men's health champions. There are dozens more ideas in Man MOT For The Mind.
- Keep checking back here - we'll be posting some of our favourite ideas.
- Tell us what you're doing.
It’s tough for men to ask for help but if you don’t ask when you need it, things generally only get worse. Especially during a major pandemic like Covid-19. So we’re asking.
Men appear more likely to get Covid-19 and far, far more likely to die from it. The Men's Health Forum are working hard pushing for more action on this from government, from health professionals and from all of us. Why are men more affected and what can we do about it? We need the data. We need the research. We need the action. Currently we're the only UK charity doing this - please help us.
Here’s our fund-raising page - please chip in if you can.