The MHF is committed to fully participating in NHS England’s Information Standard Scheme for health and social care information. We intend to comply with all aspects and requirements of the Scheme Standard.
A list of sources for the Serious Drinking manual (2016) follows:
What's the point (page 4):
- Office for National Statistics (2016) Alcohol-related deaths 2014; Alcohol-related deaths by sex, age group and individual cause of death, UK constituent countries, deaths registered 2001 to 2014. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare
- Department of Health (2016) Alcohol consumption: advice on low risk drinking https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/alcohol-consumption-advice-on-low-risk-drinking
- UK Chief Medical Officers’ Low Risk Drinking Guidelines 2016, August 2016: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/
- Holmes J et al. (2016) 'Mortality and morbidity risks from alcohol consumption in the UK: Analyses using the Sheffield Alcohol Policy Model (v.2.7) to inform the UK Chief Medical Officers' review of the UK lower risk drinking guidelines', ScHARR, University of Sheffield. https://www.shef.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.538671!/file/
- IPSOS Mori (2016), Drinkaware Monitor 2015: UK Adults experience of and views on cutting down, pp 37 https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/media/1553/drinkaware_monitor-2015-reportv2.pdf
What happens when we drink? (page 6)
- Ebrahim, I.O. et al. (2013) Alcohol and Sleep I: Effects on Normal Sleep, Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 37(4):539-49. doi: 10.1111/acer.12006. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23347102
- White, Aaron M. "What happened? Alcohol, memory blackouts, and the brain." Alcohol Research & Health, Spring 2003, p. 186+. Academic OneFile. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-2/186-196.htm
Office for National Statistics (2015), Focus on violent crime and sexual offences http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/
The long term effects (page 9)
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (1988), IARC Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans: Alcohol Drinking, IARC 1988 http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol44/mono44.pdf
- Seitz et al, Effect of chronic alcohol consumption on the development and progression of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr. 2015 Jun; 4(3): 147–151. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2304-3881.2014.12.01. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4465604/
- Hartmann, Seebauer and Schable 2015 Alcoholic liver disease: the gut microbiome and liver cross talk. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2015 May;39(5):763-75. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25872593
- Cleary and Klein (1997) Alcoholic Gastritis Pediatrics in Review http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/18/8/282
- Zhen Huang, and Åke Sjöholm. "Ethanol acutely stimulates islet blood flow, amplifies insulin secretion, and induces hypoglycemia via NO and vagally mediated mechanisms" Endocrinology (2008); 149: 232-236. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17916634
- Bianco et al (2014), Alcohol consumption and hormonal alterations related to muscle hypertrophy: a review, Nutrition and Metabolism http://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-11-26
- Aicken, Nardone and Mercer (2011) Alcohol misuse, sexual risk behaviour and adverse sexual health outcomes: evidence from Britain's national probability sexual behaviour surveys, J Public Health, 33(2): 262-271. doi: 10.1093/pubmed/fdq056 http://jpubhealth.oxfordjournals.org/content/33/2/262.abstract
- Xin, X., He, J., Frontini, M.G., Ogden, L.G., Motsamai, O.I. and Whelton, P.K. (2001) Effects of alcohol reduction on blood pressure: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Hypertension, 38(5): 1112-1117. http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/38/5/1112.short
Kristiansen at al 2008, Risk of Pancreatitis According to Alcohol Drinking Habits: A Population-based Cohort Study; Am. J. Epidemiol. (2008) 168 (8):932-937.doi: 10.1093/aje/kwn222. http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/168/8/932.full
Larsson, S.C., Drca, N. and Wolk, A. (2014) Alcohol consumption and risk of atrial fibrillation: a prospective study and dose-response meta-analysis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 64(3): 281-289. http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1889060#tab1
Djoussé L, Gaziano JM. Alcohol Consumption and Heart Failure: A Systematic Review. Current atherosclerosis reports. 2008;10(2):117-120. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2365733/
Boden, J. M. and Fergusson, D. M. (2011), Alcohol and depression. Addiction, 106: 906–914 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2010.03351.x/abstract
Bellos, S. et al. (2013) ‘Cross-cultural patterns of the association between varying levels of alcohol consumption and the common mental disorders of depression and anxiety: Secondary analysis of the WHO Collaborative Study on Psychological Problems in General Health Care’, Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 133: 825-831. http://www.drugandalcoholdependence.com/article/S0376-8716(13)00364-5/abstract
Lovinger (1997), Serotonin’s role in alcohol’s effects on the brain, Alcohol Health Res World. 1997;21(2):114-20 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15704346
Are there any benefits? (page 13)
- Quiniones, Miguel, Aleixandre 2013; Beneficial effects of polyphenols on cardiovascular disease; Volume 68, Issue 1, February 2013, Pages 125–131 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043661812002058
- J Pérez-Jiménez (2010) Identification of the 100 richest dietary sources of polyphenols: an application of the Phenol-Explorer European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2010) http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v64/n3s/fig_tab/ejcn2010221t1.html
- Effects of Wine, Alcohol and Polyphenols on Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors: Evidences from Human Studies - Gemma Chiva-Blanch, Sara Arranz, Rosa M. Lamuela-Raventos, Ramon Estruch, Alcohol and Alcoholism May 2013, 48 (3) 270-277; DOI: 10.1093/alcalc/agt007
- Holahan et al 2010, Late-Life Alcohol Consumption and 20-Year Mortality, Alcohol Clin Exp Res, Vol 34, No 11, 2010: pp 1–11 http://while-science-sleeps.com/pdf/628.pdf
- Stockwell, Tim, et al. "Do “moderate” drinkers have reduced mortality risk? A systematic review and meta-analysis of alcohol consumption and all-cause mortality." Journal of studies on alcohol and drugs 77.2 (2016): 185-198. http://www.jsad.com/doi/abs/10.15288/jsad.2016.77.185
Any tips to cut down? (page 15)
Am I drinking too much? (page 17)
- Questions on page 18 based on http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/About-AA/Newcomers/Is-AA-for-you?
These references were correct at December 2016.
More related links and sources on Drinkaware's website.
A list of photographic credits for the Serious Drinking manual (2016) follows. All photos and graphics unless stated provided by Drinkaware.
The credits were correct as at December 2016.